Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

PI insurance requirements for sole traders

PI insurance requirements for sole traders

PI insurance requirements for sole traders

Hi guys I would really appreciate some advice here. I would like to start a small business as a sole trader. My intention would be to do only engineering reports on existing buildings and potentially also some forensic type reports on failures (if I am lucky enough to get this far). I am currently working with a structural engineering firm so this would be an extra. My question is do I still need to get PI? I would not be designing anything, I would only be writing reports and doing calculations only where required to support my conclusions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

RE: PI insurance requirements for sole traders

Gavin73....not sure where you are located, but I do exactly what you are proposing to do....although my business has progressed to mostly forensic work.

Whether you do design work or not, you are still open to liability for your opinions and recommendations. For this reason, professional liability insurance is needed. There are always arguments that having insurance makes you a target; however, if there is a legitimate claim against you and you do not have insurance, your personal assets (home, vehicles, savings, bank account, etc) are at risk.

As for forensic work, if you evaluate a failure, chances are good that you'll need to come up with a proper fix.....that means design! Be prepared if you do forensic work that you'll need to do remediation design work in support of that activity.

RE: PI insurance requirements for sole traders

Ron thanks for your advice, will definitely go for PI. Cheers

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Low-Volume Rapid Injection Molding With 3D Printed Molds
Learn methods and guidelines for using stereolithography (SLA) 3D printed molds in the injection molding process to lower costs and lead time. Discover how this hybrid manufacturing process enables on-demand mold fabrication to quickly produce small batches of thermoplastic parts. Download Now
Design for Additive Manufacturing (DfAM)
Examine how the principles of DfAM upend many of the long-standing rules around manufacturability - allowing engineers and designers to place a part’s function at the center of their design considerations. Download Now
Taking Control of Engineering Documents
This ebook covers tips for creating and managing workflows, security best practices and protection of intellectual property, Cloud vs. on-premise software solutions, CAD file management, compliance, and more. Download Now

Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close