Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here


Which ANSI or ASME code to apply to my touchless external faucet adapter

Which ANSI or ASME code to apply to my touchless external faucet adapter

Which ANSI or ASME code to apply to my touchless external faucet adapter

I have freelance project for US client (I am from Europe) to design touchless external faucet adapter similar to this one
I have drafted concept and client approved it. I plan to use plastic material for adapter body, inside will be pilot operated solenoid valve (with diaphragm ), plastic also.
He had provided me with following design requirements:
Pmax=60psi (~400KPa)
Tmax=40C (104F)
Now I need to do detail (CAD) design and I have researched for relevant code that rules design of this product. I had find this two certification companies:
They introduced following codes:
ASME A112.18.1-2005/CSA B125.1-05 Plumbing supply fittings
NSF ANSI 14 – 2012 NSF_14-12 Plastics piping system components
On my surprise ASME A112 suggested that:
Supply fittings shall be designed for a rated supply pressure of 690 kPa (100 psi).
Supply fittings shall be designed for rated supply temperatures from 5 to 71 °C (40 to 160°F).

I have few questions now, please give me advice on this:
1. Does this product need to be certified for US market?
2. Since adapter will be mounted on faucet in bathroom, do I need it comply with requirements for drinking water? Logically not, but if you have kids, who can say they will not drink water while washing teeth or similar. So I think it should be considered as for drinking water.
3. If certification is needed, can you tell me how should I classify it according to ASME A112.18.1-2005/CSA B125.1-05 Plumbing or NSF ANSI 14 – 2012 NSF_14-12 or other relevant code – standard.
4. Is there any other code that rules design of this product that I should take in consideration.

Way I see it I have to follow this guidelines for pressure and temperature ratings but I need to be sure before I inform my client about this.
Is there any way around this?

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close