Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here


Student looks for books.

Student looks for books.

Student looks for books.

Hello ladies and gentlemen.
I'm not native speaker so I apologize for grammar mistakes I'll make, thank you.
I graduated from university in Russia two months ago. Actually major is Development and Production of Oil fields.
Now I'm staying in Texas until October trying to find internship anywhere but it will take sometime so after coming back I need to improve my "Petroleum English". Could you advise me some books, student's books etc, please?
I ordered Applied Petroleum Reservoir Engineering by Ronald E. Terry and J. Brandon Rogers couple of days ago and hope it's gonna be nice book.
Anyway I have to know more about equipment you do use, (advanced)recovery methods, geology and stuff.
I'm not looking for any "non-technical" literature. It's supposed to be something useful and applied cause it's necessary to be nice specialist if I want to find a job or at least internship.
Thank you.
Best regards.

RE: Student looks for books.

I'm not sure you'll find anything. My experience is that the "petroleum speak" your talking about is more "area dialect" ...what one area call something would go by another name somewhere else. Case in point, I do a far amount of work on the "up-stream" side of petroleum industry. The collection points are called AWT-15 (Automatic Well Test site), but in the area I work now they are referred as Gauge Settings (GS-15), small valves are call by type (Ball valve) and connection type (SW x Th'd), here they are call 50/50 ball valve. My best suggest is to find a job and do your own research.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close