Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here


Career move from Drilling Supervisor to Senior Drilling Engineer (Consultant)

Career move from Drilling Supervisor to Senior Drilling Engineer (Consultant)

Career move from Drilling Supervisor to Senior Drilling Engineer (Consultant)

G'day mates,

I am considering a career move from working as a Consultant DSV to a Consultant SDE and would need some advice on how to go about this. I started of as a Completion Engineer with Schlumberger but after a Masters Degree in Drilling and Well Engineering from Robert Gordon University I have successfully been able to make the switch to working as a Consultant DSV (started off as NDSV though) mostly for indigenous E&P companies. The plan right from the start was to eventually work in the capacity of a Drilling Engineer but I chose to start off as a Drilling Supervisor because of the field experience which would make me a more rounded Engineer in the office. The challenge I am facing now is how to proceed to becoming a SDE because companies would definitely want to know one's track record as a SDE before offering such a position to fill, the other option which I think would be more practical is to go for Drilling Engineer-related courses and build up from there before approaching available companies for a role as a SDE.

What do you guys think?

PS: I am not totally open to the idea of moving on to just a Drilling Engineer position as this would affect my present day rate since most companies don't hire for a DE Consultant position but would rather have them as permanent employees.

Many Thanks.


Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close