Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here


Digital Vernier Interface with a PC

Digital Vernier Interface with a PC

Digital Vernier Interface with a PC

Hello All,

I need to record the continuous elongation of a bolt as torque is applied. I was planning on using an electronic digital vernier and connecting it to the pc similar to the below:


Does anyone have any experience of this? Or know of a cheaper equivalent product?


RE: Digital Vernier Interface with a PC

How do you plan to measure and record the torque with that caliper?

RE: Digital Vernier Interface with a PC

I'm just curious what a "digital vernier" is.

The link describes a digital caliper with a PC interface. Where does the vernier part come in?

RE: Digital Vernier Interface with a PC

MintJulep, the torque will be measure with a torque wrench, the elongation is to be measured with calipers.

Redpicker, please read my post as "digital calipers with a PC interface", disregard the vernier aspect. I often refer to vernier gauges as calipers.


RE: Digital Vernier Interface with a PC

Continuous elongation of an externally threaded fastener usually is measured using strain gages or an ultrasonic transducer. Before and after length measurements with a micrometer, not a caliper, is common too. An alternative is to measure the clamping force instead of elongation using a force washer. I recommend looking at the following:




RE: Digital Vernier Interface with a PC

So how do you record the torque with a torque wrench?

If you want a torque vs. elongation curve you need to measure and record both.

If you want "continuously" then the measurements need to be recorded simultaneously.

If you only need discrete points then a pad of paper and a pencil work just as well as a PC interface.

RE: Digital Vernier Interface with a PC

Yes good point MintJulep.

Thanks for the information CoryPad. Some interesting bits of kit there.

RE: Digital Vernier Interface with a PC

MicroRidge makes interfaces for Mitutoyo and other manufacturer communications standards that serve as a USB-based standalone keyboard wedge- no software required.
Very convenient, I have deployed several within our company.


"It's the questions that drive us"

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close