Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Related Articles


Stirrups design

Stirrups design

Stirrups design

Hey guys I am new in this site I just wanted to know how can I design stirrups for the critical length of columns it's formula or any information


RE: Stirrups design

In columns (which are compression members), the ligatures are normally called ties, not stirrups. Stirrups are shear reinforcement in flexural members.

Your concrete code will have provisions for spacing, size, etc. for column ties.

RE: Stirrups design

Columns have ties and beams have stirrups.

Mike McCann, PE, SE (WA)

RE: Stirrups design

hokie66, don't the engineers in Australia (or is it England) refer to stirrups as links?

Check out Eng-Tips Forum's Policies here:
FAQ731-376: Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies

RE: Stirrups design

Occasionally I hear that. Maybe from English trained engineers here. But the normal word is stirrup.

RE: Stirrups design

Column ties and beam ligs (or ligatures). (Aus)

I've even seen beam fitments.

RE: Stirrups design

If you're concerned about column ties in the plastic hinges of special moment frames, that is code mandated too. It's in the seismic section of ACI 318 and results in pretty dense confinement reinforcing.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

RE: Stirrups design

Quote (Trenno)

Column ties and beam ligs (or ligatures). (Aus)

I've even seen beam fitments.

Yeah, but you're a "banana bender" - Queenslander smile

RE: Stirrups design

Okay guys thanks
But how to design the ties for the start and end of columns?

RE: Stirrups design

If there's a lot of bending and therefore shear, you design them the same as you would beam shear. Elsewise design them as containment reinforcement for your vertical bars and maybe add a couple extra at the top and bottom.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close