Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Related Articles


Odor Control Cover - gap seal vendor

Odor Control Cover - gap seal vendor

Odor Control Cover - gap seal vendor

Good afternoon, all.

I'm looking for a vendor in the US that can supply an odor control seal for an aerated grit removal channel. That channel has a traveling bridge grit removal system and the plant (understandably) wants odor control on these tanks. This is fine except where the traveling bridge equipment needs to pass through the odor control covers. This results in an ~2' wide gap that extends the length of the channel (~110'). The traveling bridge equipment (pipes and supports) is ~12" wide. The objective of this odor control seal is to seal the gap between the covers but allow the traveling bridge equipment to pass through with limited friction and seal again once the equipment has passed.

Options I've found range from bristles (which bend and aren't best at inhibiting air transmission), rubber flaps, and inflated rubber tubes. The latter seems most robust, and the latter two concepts have only been demonstrated in Europe and do not have manufacturers/designers in the good ol' U S of A.

So, any recommendations for a vendor in the US who could supply equipment to do this job? To entice vendors, this is a pretty big job (there are 12 of these 110' long tanks). Please reply promptly as we're wrapping up design soon.

Much appreciated.

RE: Odor Control Cover - gap seal vendor

You may have to design this yourself. Look at heavy duty conveyor belting. Attach to sides with bolts and overlap 6 inches in the middle. This material will give you options for repairing only damaged sections. Not the whole length. Belting is readily available.

Richard A. Cornelius, P.E.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close