Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

P.E. In USA wants to register in Canada

P.E. In USA wants to register in Canada

P.E. In USA wants to register in Canada

Hi folks,

I got my engineering degree, B.Eng, from Canada (Quebec) and had a Quebec EIT a long time ago; 20 yrs give or take. I took the US FE and PE exams to obtain my P.E. license (mechanical) I am currently registered in 5 states and have a NCEES record.

We are moving toward working in Canada and therefore I am looking into what would be required to obtain P.Eng licensure. We will likely provide services in 10 provinces and I am looking for advice on what the easiest path would be. Are there any provinces that have reciprocity with the NCEES or any US states? Is there any reciprocity between provinces, if so, should I pursue one province and then apply through reciprocity to the others?

Any advice and experiences on this would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

RE: P.E. In USA wants to register in Canada

Getting a P.Eng. for you should be a formality at most, except for one thing: do you have at least 1 year of work experience under a Canadian signatory P.Eng.? I'm not sure, but I believe that as long as the signatory is licensed in Canada, the work itself may not need to have actually been done in Canada- the intention is to ensure that someone holding a Canadian license has to sign on the dotted line to say that you are suitable for licensure, both in terms of knowledge of the responsibilities of licensure and in character to take them seriously. If not, you may not meet the conditions for provincial licensure right away, which would be inconvenient for you for sure. You may fall under a reciprocity deal which gets you out of that experience year requirement, but I'm not sure about that- you need to check with each provincial regulator. You also have to write the ethics and law exam (called the Professional Practice Examination) in Ontario, which apparently can be written before you come. The other provinces may have additional requirements and it would be best to talk to each Association to get the details.

Most people do not register in all 10 provinces and they certainly do not do so right away.

RE: P.E. In USA wants to register in Canada

Thanks for the post. I was a co-op student (in Canada) and had worked in Canada for about 1-year prior to the US. What you describe seems to be a reference requirement, similar to the reference requirements in the US. I still have contacts in Canada who would be more than ready to sign/support me as a P.Eng candidate. Is that all that would be needed regarding that requirement? Is Ontario one of the provinces that other provinces accept for reciprocity? Is the ethics and law exam individual to each province? I would assume so due to the law component. Is there a NCEES equivalent in Canada? Ultimately, I would start with Ontario, Quebec, Alberta, and BC.

Thanks again for the info!

RE: P.E. In USA wants to register in Canada

The Ethics and Law exam (typically called the Professional Practice Exam, PPE) is mostly nationalized in content. It is a different exam set province-by-province, but the two books to study and the content are the same. Also I have yet to have seen a province that did not waive their own PPE for someone who has written the PPE in another Canadian jurisdiction.

As per other posts, you should be fine. The PPE, however, is not optional and you'll likely have to write it. The PPE is not particularly hard, but many people fail by not taking it seriously or insufficient study.

RE: P.E. In USA wants to register in Canada

My only suggestion would be to choose one Province that will be your first registration. Get that all sorted out, write the PPE and get everything finalized. THEN, you can get registered in the other Provinces based on provincial reciprocity. I first registered in Alberta, then Saskatchewan, then Ontario. There is, to the best of my knowledge, nation-wide reciprocity, except...

There are requirements for French language proficiency for registering in Quebec - the only hurdle that I have not been able to overcome in order to register there.

RE: P.E. In USA wants to register in Canada

Thanks for the great info folks!

What would be the recommended province to start with, or said another way, what would be the easiest path to getting that first P.Eng license that would lead to reciprocity for the other provinces? I recall seeing something recently that Arizona recognizes Alberta (could have that backward). Would Alberta be the one to start with?

Am I interpreting the reference requirement correctly, a P.Eng just needs to act as a reference (saying that they have reviewed my work, assert that I am of sound character, and have had a professional relationship for more than one year), or do I have to work in Canada under a P.Eng for one year?

RE: P.E. In USA wants to register in Canada

I would probably choose the Province that you were or are going to be taking up residency in. Otherwise, they are all pretty good for keeping similar standards and one shouldn't be easier than any other. Alberta and Ontario probably deal with the most out-of-country applicants, and so may be better able to manage some of those aspects.

Just for curiosity, why do you want/need to be registered in multiple provinces?

RE: P.E. In USA wants to register in Canada

I would not take up residency in Canada. My company does work in all the 50 states and 10 provinces but the consulting arm only works in the US but we are expanding service into Canada.

RE: P.E. In USA wants to register in Canada

OK, that clarifies matters a bit- check with the provincial bodies about reciprocity deals, which is what you're really after, rather than a license that is intended for a resident.

RE: P.E. In USA wants to register in Canada

I did something similar in 2007. Alberta made the most sense. Some provinces required more detail in experience tracking than appealed to me. One province had a mandatory community service requirement (???). Alberta has sort of a reciprocity agreement with several states, including Nevada for certain. Those agreements allow for a limited, temporary license.

The greatest trick that bond stress ever pulled was convincing the world it didn't exist.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Low-Volume Rapid Injection Molding With 3D Printed Molds
Learn methods and guidelines for using stereolithography (SLA) 3D printed molds in the injection molding process to lower costs and lead time. Discover how this hybrid manufacturing process enables on-demand mold fabrication to quickly produce small batches of thermoplastic parts. Download Now
Design for Additive Manufacturing (DfAM)
Examine how the principles of DfAM upend many of the long-standing rules around manufacturability - allowing engineers and designers to place a part’s function at the center of their design considerations. Download Now
Taking Control of Engineering Documents
This ebook covers tips for creating and managing workflows, security best practices and protection of intellectual property, Cloud vs. on-premise software solutions, CAD file management, compliance, and more. Download Now

Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close