Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Name of rotating device

Name of rotating device

Name of rotating device

Hi All,

Trying to figure out the name of the device similar to what i have modeled up and if its a propriety item that i can buy.

The device is required to rotate around its base 360 deg and the drive(blue part) also 360 degrees. It's similar to a security camera mount.


RE: Name of rotating device

Under a telescope, it would be called an Altazimuth mount.

Your illustration gives no hint of the scale of what you need.
Kinematically similar mechanisms are found under swivel guns and other small cannons, in Hooke joints, and many other places.

... which does not mean that you will just happen to find exactly what you need with the exact proportions, strengths, precision, and stiffnesses that you need.

Given its relative simplicity, you may be better off designing from scratch within your own problem space, and directing your effort to optimizing the construction methods for your production volume.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

RE: Name of rotating device


Thanks for the reply, i should of been more detailed. The device i'm looking for is to be mechanically driven by two motors, one drives the base and the other drives the rotating plate. The aim is to have a device capable of being attached to the side of a table bench timber saw. I'm not completely sure what my boss is intending on using it for but he has asked me to identify it and where he could buy one from. I would imagine the size of the device would the size of a soccer ball or smaller.


RE: Name of rotating device

Slewing ring ? maybe

RE: Name of rotating device

A gimbal mount.

RE: Name of rotating device

What is a "table bench timber saw", please?

Why does this device move. Does it position the saw blade or the timber or something else?

We are in the saw blade business. If there was a different name I might be able to help.

Thomas J. Walz
Carbide Processors, Inc.

Good engineering starts with a Grainger Catalog.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


White Paper - How ESI is Helping Move New Medical Device Product to Market Quicker & More Cost Effic
Early Supplier Involvement has long been a strategy employed by manufacturers to produce innovative products. Now, it almost seems like a necessity. Because decisions made in the design phase can positively affect product quality and costs, this can help add value to OEM bottom lines. This white paper will discuss many facets of ESI, including why it’s so valuable today, what challenges limit the benefits of ESI, how cost is impacted, and more. Download Now
White Paper - Moving to a Driverless Future
This white paper describes what we see as the best practices to support a sustainable engineering process for autonomous vehicle design. It exposes how to use simulation and testing in common frameworks to enable design exploration, verification and validation for the development of autonomous cars at a system, software and full-vehicle level to drive a mature product development process for automated driving. Download Now
Research Report - How Engineers are Using Remote Access
Remote access enables engineers to work from anywhere provided they have an internet connection. We surveyed our audience of engineers, designers and product managers to learn how they use remote access within their organizations. We wanted to know which industries have adopted remote access, which software they are using, and what features matter most. Download Now

Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close