Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Wire Studs

Wire Studs

Wire Studs

In lieu of metal studs, one can find wire studs used as partition walls in older buildings.  Wire stud is made of thin gage angle (say 1"x1"x20gage) for flanges and bent wires as webs welded to the flange angles.

This type of studs have been discontinued after WWII but surplus may have been used into the early to mid 60s.

Anyone with any information on names of manufacturers or reliable span tables on these studs, please respond to this thread.  Any historical background, whether there was any type of industry standards or other info related to wire studs would be most helpful.

RE: Wire Studs

thank you whymrg.  I didnt know they still made these.  webpage has no detailed product info.

reason for my original posting was that I am dealing with a project where an existing building has an interior partition that is made of 6" wire studs at 16"o.c. spanning, would you believe, close to 40 feet.

Of course, I will not rely on the values the existing studs offer.  I decided to strengthen the entire wall using 10" SSMA studs.

I was just curious as to whether anyone has an old manufacturer's catalog or a more detailed historical background.

finally, for the poutrafil studs, what is the flange material?  From the small picture on the web page, it looks like two pieces of bars or angles each side.  The one I am dealing with is about single angle of 1"x1"x(some gage no thicker than 20).

I live in the west coast.  I have not seen this type of studs used in new projects.  Is it more commonly used in other areas?

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


White Paper - PLM and ERP: Their Respective Roles in Modern Manufacturing
Leading manufacturers are aligning their people, processes, and tools from initial product ideation through to field service. They do so by providing access to product and enterprise data in the context of each person’s domain expertise. However, it can be complicated and costly to unite engineering with the factory and supply chain. Download Now

Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close