Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Regarding Storm Drainage

Regarding Storm Drainage

Regarding Storm Drainage


  Can anyone tell me what is a "Bubbler". What is it's use? If it does not work will that cause flooding on the street?
I really appreciate any good info that you can throw my way


RE: Regarding Storm Drainage

The definition for "Bubbler" shifts but in essence it was created around the mid to late 70's as a means to convey stormwater flows from one side of an intersection to another. Imagine if you will, an intersection with flow entering from the north. Instead of installing a cross pan to the south side of the intersection you install a grate inlet, capturing the flow, pipe it to the south side of the street where there is a second grate inlet. Stormwater flows backup in the pipe until it has enough pressure to "Bubble" out of the southern inlet and continue on its way. Confined stormwater would be allowed to und in a closed system such as the one described. This is an older design concept that municilpalities used and many are now removing them, milling the street, and installing crosspans simply because there was never any maintence done on the Bubbler system and the solids filtered out when the stormwater evaporated and clogged the pipes.

Nowadays the termonology seems to float towards an inlet on a network system that surcharges. Instead of not working its described as a "Bubbler" and drainage analysis is performed on the flows as they bypass the ineffective inlet and continue on their way...whether its over an emergency overflow or just sits and ponds.

You are right that if they clog they will flood the street. However, most designs have emergency overflows like a high point in the road, the crown, etc.



RE: Regarding Storm Drainage


   BigDog23, Thankyou very much. Your information was helpful. I really appreciate your help.


Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Low-Volume Rapid Injection Molding With 3D Printed Molds
Learn methods and guidelines for using stereolithography (SLA) 3D printed molds in the injection molding process to lower costs and lead time. Discover how this hybrid manufacturing process enables on-demand mold fabrication to quickly produce small batches of thermoplastic parts. Download Now
Design for Additive Manufacturing (DfAM)
Examine how the principles of DfAM upend many of the long-standing rules around manufacturability - allowing engineers and designers to place a part’s function at the center of their design considerations. Download Now
Taking Control of Engineering Documents
This ebook covers tips for creating and managing workflows, security best practices and protection of intellectual property, Cloud vs. on-premise software solutions, CAD file management, compliance, and more. Download Now

Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close