Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

push pull type solenoid valve

push pull type solenoid valve

push pull type solenoid valve


Does anybody know what does this term mean? by looking at a photo, It should be a spring centered, solenoid operated DCV with manual actuation. But what does this term push pull type solenoid valve mean?

RE: push pull type solenoid valve

Hi Robert

Can't see any photo, but a push-pull type solenoid valve has both coils on the same end of the spool. There is a common armature which is spring centered to sit between the two coils. When you energise the coil furthest from the spool the armature (which is connected to the spool) is pulled away from the valve body. When you energise the coil closest to the spool the armature (and spool) is pushed towards the valve body. See attached file.

By adding some "steering" diodes you can make the select which coil energises by changing the polarity of the enrgisation supply. Sometimes both coils are built into the one housing.

If you do have a manual actuation it will be a type that you have to PULL to attain one switched position and PUSH to get the other switched position.

There is also a type of solenoid used in some high response proportional valve where the armature is a magnet and sits inside a single coil. When you energise the coil one way it attracts the magnet, when you energise the coil the other way it repells the magnet. I suppose you could describe this as a push-pull solenoid as well.


RE: push pull type solenoid valve


Thanks for answer and for great attachment.

I didn't put picture anywhere. The valve that I'm talking about can be seen here. There' s a datasheet for download. By Your description and photo, I think that is what it means.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Taking Control of Engineering Documents
This ebook covers tips for creating and managing workflows, security best practices and protection of intellectual property, Cloud vs. on-premise software solutions, CAD file management, compliance, and more. Download Now
The Great Project Profitability Debate
A/E firms have a great opportunity to lead the world into the future, but the industry’s greatest asset—real-time data—is sitting wasted in clunky, archaic ERP platforms. Learn how real-time, fully interactive dashboards in a modern ERP allow you to unlock data that will shape the future of the world. Download Now

Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close