Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Old Terminology Help

Old Terminology Help

Old Terminology Help

I need a little help here, I have a sheet metal part with a call out for a hole I believe. But I don't know what the call out means and have never seen it before. We are reverse engineering some old print into 3D and need help distiguishing some old terminology.

On the attached file the center hole in the part is labeled 50HI-14?? Does anyone know what that means or has seen it before?


RE: Old Terminology Help

That's "Flange Down" representing the way the stiffing flange is oriented. No clue on the 50HI-14.

RE: Old Terminology Help

Are you with the guys who acquired the Bell 47 TC? Saw the booth in Display in Dallas this spring; nice work, and a labor of love!

RE: Old Terminology Help

Thanks for input it is about a 4" hole with about a .25" flange. It would be strange if they listed that hole and flange in mm since all other dims are in inches. We will keep searching for answers.

thruthefence - yes I am with that company that has bought the 47 TC.

RE: Old Terminology Help

Hey, no kidding, I sat in that B47, too. Pretty!

My guess is that it is a tool reference, not a dimension.
Bell would naturally have standard tools made for flanging holes, (like everyone else) so instead of specifying all dimensions and angles for the lightening hole, the draftsman could just call out the one tool required to make the hole. Done.

We've made a few such tools in our shop, from time to time. One tube + one plug, made with a lathe, fitting together, ready to be squeezed in a hydraulic press, made so as to locate center, shear through, flange the edge, and slide out, all in one operation.

Maybe, somewhere in a factory in Fort Worth there is a shelf with a row of round plugs and sockets that fit together in pairs, and one of them has "50HI-14" stamped on the side.

As for what to do about the part, either locate the tool (lots of aimless phoning around IMHO) or just scale off the drawing what you need and then make your own tool. Bell parts can be flanged 45 degrees in some places, or 60 or 30 in others, depends on where you look. Compare with other parts you may find a similar hole (theoretically made with the same tool) to this one and measure that directly to find out what the end goal really should be.


RE: Old Terminology Help

That's a Hole, Circular Lightening, 45° Flange. 3.50" diameter, 3.00" diameter at the foot of the flange.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Low-Volume Rapid Injection Molding With 3D Printed Molds
Learn methods and guidelines for using stereolithography (SLA) 3D printed molds in the injection molding process to lower costs and lead time. Discover how this hybrid manufacturing process enables on-demand mold fabrication to quickly produce small batches of thermoplastic parts. Download Now
Design for Additive Manufacturing (DfAM)
Examine how the principles of DfAM upend many of the long-standing rules around manufacturability - allowing engineers and designers to place a part’s function at the center of their design considerations. Download Now
Taking Control of Engineering Documents
This ebook covers tips for creating and managing workflows, security best practices and protection of intellectual property, Cloud vs. on-premise software solutions, CAD file management, compliance, and more. Download Now

Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close