Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

fire damaged, brick building

fire damaged, brick building

fire damaged, brick building

Hello, I am the owner of a brick building in Los Angeles,
4980 SF 20' walls built in the late 40's built up roof.
double brick,3.25" X 3.25"X 10" 8.5" thick walls,cement/ mortar filled.
The building next to mine burnt down a couple of nights ago and I am know looking at what I guess is spalling on a few areas that were exposed to intense heat. My concerns now are dealing with insurance on assessing extent of damage and how to properly repair this building.
Any thoughts and suggestions would by greatlt apriciated.

RE: fire damaged, brick building

Engage a structural engineer who is experienced in fire damage assessment of these old structures. He may still need to pull in a testing agency , but that would be his call, depending on his level of expertise.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

RE: fire damaged, brick building

Thnak you!

RE: fire damaged, brick building

It is possible that the damage was caused by fire suppression water striking the heated brick and causing a thermal shock and/or expansion of steam.

Your building may not conform to current codes from the sound it it and it may be necessary to bring it up to current standards; this varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. m^2 is on the mark for calling in another consultant. Insurance company may provide this service for their report, but, based on experience with doing fire damage reports, you may want to approach a consultant yourself as part of your claim.


RE: fire damaged, brick building

*nudges Mike* or HER!

Seriously, get a historic preservation or forensic structural engineer involved. A materials preservation engineer may also help. Good luck.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Low-Volume Rapid Injection Molding With 3D Printed Molds
Learn methods and guidelines for using stereolithography (SLA) 3D printed molds in the injection molding process to lower costs and lead time. Discover how this hybrid manufacturing process enables on-demand mold fabrication to quickly produce small batches of thermoplastic parts. Download Now
Design for Additive Manufacturing (DfAM)
Examine how the principles of DfAM upend many of the long-standing rules around manufacturability - allowing engineers and designers to place a part’s function at the center of their design considerations. Download Now
Taking Control of Engineering Documents
This ebook covers tips for creating and managing workflows, security best practices and protection of intellectual property, Cloud vs. on-premise software solutions, CAD file management, compliance, and more. Download Now

Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close