Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here


How to talk to a Geotechnical Engineer?

How to talk to a Geotechnical Engineer?

How to talk to a Geotechnical Engineer?

As a structural engineer I sometimes have to write a scope of work for a geotechnical investigation. Is there a publication anywhere that bridges the gap to show me how to specify clearly what i want?

RE: How to talk to a Geotechnical Engineer?

Try the AIA standard contract documents. I believe there is a standard contract for geotechnical services. You could tailor it to get the information important to you.

RE: How to talk to a Geotechnical Engineer?

I find the best method is to pick up the phone, call my favorite geotech and tell him I will meet him for lunch. He usually buys since I am asking him for a proposal. The scope of work is usually a joint effort with the geotech taking the lead...

RE: How to talk to a Geotechnical Engineer?

If the structural engineer prescribes a scope of work (number of borings, locations, depths) and some geotechnical abnormality or failure occurs, you (the structural) engineer will share in the liability. It's best to define the structural engineering objective that you need (i.e., foundation support, lateral earth pressures, site preparation and grading recommendations, etc.) and let the geotechnical engineer determine the appropriate field and laboratory program to accomplish the goal - whether that means 5 borings and 10 lab tests or 45 borings and 100 lab tests.

Just a few thoughts on the matter. . .


¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

RE: How to talk to a Geotechnical Engineer?

I tend to agree with CVG - meet to discuss requirements and what you need to satsfy your structural requirements. Often the geotech will know what tests work and what does not work for specific areas. The structural engineer often gets it wrong when specifying the geotech tests required (often jus 'cut and pasted' from a written specification) - just tell us what you need and shift the proposal writing onto the geotech guy. As fattdad said, why do you want to take the geotech liability on as well?

RE: How to talk to a Geotechnical Engineer?

Try AS 1726—1993 Geotechnical site investigations

1 SCOPE This Standard sets out minimum requirements for a geotechnical site
investigation, as a component in the engineering design, construction, commissioning and
operation of civil engineering and building works.

RE: How to talk to a Geotechnical Engineer?

apsix, thanks. That's a good start, especially the appendicies.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close