Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

When are threaded rod stiffeners required?

When are threaded rod stiffeners required?

When are threaded rod stiffeners required?

Looking for some help on inspecting threaded rod.  When is a threaded rod stiffener required? I inspect sprinkler, water piping & HVAC duct. I offten see the threaded rod size increase but never rod stiffeners added. Is there a rod size when a stiffeners are not required? Example- I may see sprinkler piping supported 8' from the structure with a 1/2" threaded rod or duct with 3/8" threaded rod 10'.  I have read every code I can get my hands on and can't seem to find a maximum lenght for a threaded rod or when stiffeners are required. I am located in a Seismic C area and have searched for some answers in ASCE 7-05 but haven't really came across an answer. Would appreciate any help.

RE: When are threaded rod stiffeners required?

IBC 2006 - 09 talks about the forces that need to be accounted for in such seismic conditions.  If you can keep the object from moving too much - are stiffeners required??

RE: When are threaded rod stiffeners required?

Stiffeners are often (almost always) used on threaded rod hangers at seismic brace locations to prevent buckling of hangers in compression. Stiffeners are not needed when the compression force is less the compression capacity of the threaded rod alone.

In high seismic areas, one rule of thumb is that stiffeners are required at every brace location unless the hanger is really short (1' to 2' depending on hanger diameter and loads). Several manufactures have seismic bracing guides for pipes or ducts (Mason, Unistrut, Tolco, B-line, Powerstrut etcetera).  

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close