Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

ASTM D-5470 result interpretation, unit usage

ASTM D-5470 result interpretation, unit usage

ASTM D-5470 result interpretation, unit usage


I am a design engineer working on thermal management of IGBT modules.

As most of you must know, when mounting these components on a heatsink it is always helpful to use some sort of interface material to fill the insulating air gaps arising from irregularities in the surfaces.

In comparing various commercially available products I am finding that manufacturers report different data; thermal conductivity, thermal resistance and thermal impedance.

I prefer to work with conductivity, power/(length*temp) or conductance, power/(area*temp) but heatsink analysis and electrical folks use resistance.

Logic tells me that the resistance should be the inverse of conductance, (area*temp)/power but many suppliers call this thermal impedance.  These data sheets often refer to the ASTM standard above.  I have also seen what I call "specific thermal resistance", C*in^2/W/mil.

In most heatsink literature, thermal resistance = deltaTemp/power which leaves out any reference to inches or meters, squared or not.  I assume this is because each object has discrete dimensions so if one reports dT/Q for a certain sink, a term in the full equation may be omitted.  The coefficient of convection is left out for similar reasons as thermal resistance is plotted against the volumetric flow rate (which in turn relies on the discrete dimensions of the object to obtain flow velocity).

When testing per the standard, what is the correct term & unit and are these results to be plotted against applied pressure?

General feedback and discussion?

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close