Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here


Static Seismic - piping across structural expansion joints?

Static Seismic - piping across structural expansion joints?

Static Seismic - piping across structural expansion joints?

I need to analyze several piping systems that cross a structural expansion joint and is in a seismic region (I am specifically required to perform a static seismic analysis).  

When the building is one structure, I have no problem applying the Uniform Load to the entire system and including the appropriate displacements at the restraints (C-nodes) and building the appropriate load cases for the building moving together.  However, the Uniform loads are limited to 3 vectors and I have a single vector assigned to each direction (I use Z for vertical):

UX1=0.171 (positive East)

UY2=0.171 (positive North)

UZ3=0.046 (positive vertical)

I have a structural expansion joint running east-west and I would like to segregate the uniform loads and displacements to each half (north and south) so I can analyze a whole piping system and represent building/seismic movements independently (through load cases).  Obviously, I want to make sure my piping is supported properly and expansion loops designed properly for the worst cases when each half is going to be moving in opposite directions (compression/tension AND twisting).  I would need to be able to add more Uniform Load vectors to accomplish this.

Has anyone come across this before?  This "idea" should be able to be applied to piping between buildings, between buildings and highlines, and between highline sections at air gaps.

I appreciate any/all help.


Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close