Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Related Articles


Scour Calculation

Scour Calculation

Scour Calculation

I am designing a 84" sewer pipe that will cross (perpendicularly)under a creek.  What methods can I use to compute the scour depth of the creek so I ensure that the pipe is placed below this depth?
I have obtained information (Q) from the closest USGS gage from the USGS website.  In my research, I found a document titled "Computing Degradation and Local Scour" (Technical Guideline for Bureau of Reclamation).  Is this something applicable to my project?  Is the type of scour I need to analyze considered "local scour"?  Also, I found an NRCS "Scour Calculations" document that I'm about to start reading through.  Does anyone have any advice?           


RE: Scour Calculation

besides local scour, you should also evaluate long term degradation or agredation and other forms as shown below:

Total scour, for a given application, should consider the following components of scour:
a. Long-term degradation of the bed of the watercourse.
b. General scour through a specific reach of the watercourse.
c. Local scour.
d. Scour induced due to a bend in the watercourse.
e. Scour associated with bedform movement through the watercourse.
f. Scour due to low-flow incisement.
Total scour (Zt) is the sum of each of these individual components (Zi) of scour. Total scour can
be expressed as:
Zt = FS (Zlong-term + Zgeneral + Zlocal + Zbend + Zbedform + Zlow-flow)

You will need to get permits including 404 and also one from the State or County to cross the river. They will review your calcs and may have requirements on the procedures to use.


Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close