Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

delta service

delta service

delta service

I have a 400A 120/240V delta service in a building. It feeds 3 phase and single phase panels in the building.
I will bring a new 1200A, 120/208V and I wand to feed the existing panels from the new switchgear.
Whant kind of transformer do I need to feed the old panels?
Thank you.  

RE: delta service

A 208V delta-240V delta.

RE: delta service

Thank you

RE: delta service

Can you elaborate why is the primary a delta since I have a Y from the street?
Thank you.

RE: delta service

A grounded wye-delta would create any number of problems, and may be prohibited by the utility.  An ungrounded wye-delta might work, but could also leave you with voltage balance problems.  if you are feeding a load serving transformer, a delta winding on the source side is almost always the best connection.  The only way to get the right voltages to reconnect the existing equipment is with a delta on the load side, so delta-delta it is.

RE: delta service

Thank you very much

RE: delta service

With the new service I will have a Y system the existing delta in the building will be part of it.  The power company is not involved inside the building. Phase by phase from the new Y to the existing delta you still think it will be created an imbalance?
Another question will be: can a buck-boost transformer be used?
Thank you.  

RE: delta service

A key factor will be what is the ratio of 3 phase 240V loads to 120V single phase loads?.

Yes, boost transformers (auto transfromer)can also be used to boost 3 phase 208V to 3 phase 240V.  I would also separate 120V loads from the delta service and re-feed them from new 208Y/120V service.

There can be a few options, I would suggest you hire a consulting engineer and review options along with costs.  

Rafiq Bulsara

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Low-Volume Rapid Injection Molding With 3D Printed Molds
Learn methods and guidelines for using stereolithography (SLA) 3D printed molds in the injection molding process to lower costs and lead time. Discover how this hybrid manufacturing process enables on-demand mold fabrication to quickly produce small batches of thermoplastic parts. Download Now
Design for Additive Manufacturing (DfAM)
Examine how the principles of DfAM upend many of the long-standing rules around manufacturability - allowing engineers and designers to place a part’s function at the center of their design considerations. Download Now
Taking Control of Engineering Documents
This ebook covers tips for creating and managing workflows, security best practices and protection of intellectual property, Cloud vs. on-premise software solutions, CAD file management, compliance, and more. Download Now

Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close