Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Reel Clamp

Reel Clamp

Reel Clamp

I am looking for a drawing or working description of the following; Clamp support for 1/2" reel crank 316SS.  I haven't been able to find much on this, but I do know it goes on a ship.  Any help or direction would be appreciated!  

RE: Reel Clamp

Check and see if that 316SS might be the material.

Peter Stockhausen
Senior Design Analyst (Checker)
Infotech Aerospace Services

RE: Reel Clamp

That's a given.

Thanks though.

RE: Reel Clamp

I have asked, and am waiting a reply.   Research turns up nothing but obsolete parts that there are no drawings for. Perhaps there is another name for a Reel Crank?

RE: Reel Clamp

Sounds like one of those things that looks like a giant version of a fuseholder (for a cylindrical fuse), with a t-bolt and a wingnut across the ears.  

Boats of my aquaintance had them everywhere, for holding spare or infrequently used handles and such that would need to be located and deployed quickly in an emergency.

Sorry, I have no idea what to call it.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

RE: Reel Clamp

Winch handle is a little too simplistic.  Am I missing something that would cause me to follow the links to FAQ's etc?

Do tell!

RE: Reel Clamp

That makes more sense than the previous answers, however this is a U.S. Naval vessel.  I would think that would be an obsolete practice, but this could be a repair/retro-fit.

RE: Reel Clamp

The boats of my acquaintance were also US Navy vessels, that have since been commissioned, led very quiet lives, and been decommissioned.  At that time, the clamps were made from coppermetals.  USN changes course slowly.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

RE: Reel Clamp

You may find something under "Hawser Reel".
Some of the hawser reels we have made have removable, square drive crank handles.
We ususally just weld a round bar stud on the side with a cross drilled hole through it for a clevis pin to keep it from sliding off.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close