Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here




Hello everyone,

im thinking of getting "specialty" degree because my boss wants me have a masters or SE

can anyone of you advice me on what would be best
Masters in Civil Engineering or Structural Engineering?

Thank you

Poems are made by fools like me, but only God can make a tree. engineers creates wonderful buildings, but only God can creates wonderful minds


I think it'd be best for you to provide us a little a background of what you do.


I did both.  I took and passeed the SE exam while in graduate school.

If for some reason you can't do both then fall back on the one option that will allow you to broaden your knowledge, increase the tools in your structural toolbox, and give you more confidence to take on an array of structures.  Go for the MSCE or MSE.

Collectively, the SE exam is merely one exam that with the right combination of experience, coursework, and hard work on your part you can pass.  That said, you need to be aware that most SE states require that you have a certain number of structural courses before taking.  In many cases, pending your BSCE work, you cannot fullfill these requirements.  Not unless all your electives were structural in nature.  So there may be some going back to school just to take the SE.

Looking back on it myself, I would not have done it any differently.  Both were a huge boost, but the MS was far more valuable.

Good Luck.  

Eng-Tips Forums:Real Solutions for Real Problems Really Quick.


In our country, we need to become a graduate of BSCE first then we have our Civil engineering licensure after. Then we also have an option if we want to have another degree. To become a structural engineer, one must take another two year course of structural engineering and then have another licensure examination it also happens if you want to become a geotechnical,environmental, water engineer or so, as long as you have the degree on CE. Or you can have a master's degree after that. Right now i don't know what will be a great help for me in the near future. I'm working right now in a design firm (structural) so that's the reason why i have the two options

Poems are made by fools like me, but only God can make a tree. engineers creates wonderful buildings, but only God can creates wonderful minds


When you say "SE" are you talking about getting licensed as a structural engineer with the SE-1, SE-2, or new SE-3 exams?

Or are you deliberating between a Masters degree in either Civil or Structural engineering?



in our country we have a licensure exam for civil engineering. Then its our own choice if we want to continue studying for a major field (at least 2 years) then we will have another licensure exam. For example, if we want to take the route to become structural engineer we have to study for at least two years then we will have to take another structural exam to have the SE title. So if you pass it you will have two sets of license, you are a CE and SE.

My boss advised me to advance my study by taking Master's or Structural Engineering. It's for my advantage of course. But im in the fog of doubt whether i will get an SE or Master's because I don't know what will be the advantage of having a master's degree than a Structural degree

Poems are made by fools like me, but only God can make a tree. engineers creates wonderful buildings, but only God can creates wonderful minds

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close