Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here


Condenser pressure drop

Condenser pressure drop

Condenser pressure drop

Can anyone refer me to an accurate way of calculating pressure drop in tubes while condensing is occuring.

Thank you


RE: Condenser pressure drop

The manufacturer of the heat exchanger will have this information and it is usually tabulated in technical literature printed by him.

RE: Condenser pressure drop


I am looking for a way to calculate the pressure drop not just the answer. Can you refer me to any tabulated pressure drops results for steam that you mention?


RE: Condenser pressure drop


What you are really asking for is a two-phase pressure drop correlation.  I suggest you look into the Lockhart-Martinelli correlations.  A quick Google search turns up lots of references.



RE: Condenser pressure drop

You are asking a simple question to a very complex problem.  There are a many factors involved in the calculation of two-phase pressure drop.  I would recommend that you start looking at your favorite technical bookstore for something that has this general title:

Boiling Heat Transfer And Two-Phase Flow

Wait until you see what you're getting yourself into!  If you are serious about this branch of heat transfer / fluid flow, ASME has an on-line course dealing with this very subject.  I found it very useful.

RE: Condenser pressure drop

Wolverine Tube publishes an Engineering Data Book that has a chapter on two-phase flow. If you check this out, I believe you will see what you are getting yourself into. For condensing relatively low pressure steam, you could use Lockhart & Martinelli as Speco suggested. For higher pressure steam, use the Homogeneous Flow Model.

The Wolverine web sie is: www.wlv.com

RE: Condenser pressure drop


Please be careful with using the Wolverine material.  It's not that there is anything wrong with it, it's just that I think you work with finned tube air-cooled exchangers and NOT tube and shell like the Wolverine info is meant for.  Tube orientation and circuitry are critical to the methodology you use when calculating this type of heat transfer.  Generally speaking, tube and shell designs for condensing service consist in a bundle of individual tubes that don't communicate except at their inlet and outlet.  This is not like the product on your reference website so far as I can tell.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close