Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Self-employment on the side...

Self-employment on the side...

Self-employment on the side...

I just got my civil engineering license. I currently work for a company that produces stone, concrete and asphalt. Every 5 years we have to update our mine plans and renew our permits which include a stamped site plan. We currently sub-out the site plans as we don't have a licensed engineer.  I am hoping to start stamping our plans myself instead of subbing them out.

The stuff I would like to do on the side is perc/deep hole tests and small residential projects.  It would not be a conflict of interest with my current company at all.

What kind of insurance do I need?  Liability, E&O, etc.?

How do I go about getting insurance?

If I do end up stamping the plans for my current company would it be reasonable for them to pay for my insurance?


RE: Self-employment on the side...

As the markets are different here, I see no problem with that aspect.  

However, I would keep the insurance policies separate - they pay for theirs and you yours - If I remember correctly, on the policy you have to list what you will be doing which they will see and question if you combine them.

CNA is a good company to start with, and some engineering societies have their own insurance too.  

You need E&O.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

RE: Self-employment on the side...

what about liability insurance?

RE: Self-employment on the side...

If you go on a jobsite for any reason, you need general liability insurance in addition to your professional liability insurance.  I agree with Mike...keep them separate.

You will pay for professional liability insurance based on your GROSS revenue.  You don't want your company's gross revenue figured into that!!


RE: Self-employment on the side...

So I need general liability, professional liability and E&O?  Thanks.

RE: Self-employment on the side...


In addition, you may also need worker's compensation and commercial auto liability insurance.

WC requirements vary by state and owner. Being a sole prop. you may be able to get a zero payroll policy (these are relatively inexpensive). Check with a local insurance agent that handles business insurance.

Commercial auto may also be a client requirement.

If you are doing work for a developer and are on their site they may request both WC & comm auto (for when you drive your vechicle on their property).

A typical homeowner probably would not ask for these policies.

These are in addition to general liability and professional liability (E&O) insurances.

Ron and Mike are definitely right about keeping your employed and SE E&O policies separate.


Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Low-Volume Rapid Injection Molding With 3D Printed Molds
Learn methods and guidelines for using stereolithography (SLA) 3D printed molds in the injection molding process to lower costs and lead time. Discover how this hybrid manufacturing process enables on-demand mold fabrication to quickly produce small batches of thermoplastic parts. Download Now
Design for Additive Manufacturing (DfAM)
Examine how the principles of DfAM upend many of the long-standing rules around manufacturability - allowing engineers and designers to place a part’s function at the center of their design considerations. Download Now
Taking Control of Engineering Documents
This ebook covers tips for creating and managing workflows, security best practices and protection of intellectual property, Cloud vs. on-premise software solutions, CAD file management, compliance, and more. Download Now

Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close