Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

What is a Mill Test Certificate?

What is a Mill Test Certificate?

What is a Mill Test Certificate?

I'm supplying my customer which is Sub-contractor to Oil & Gas Co. with a Polyurethane components to apply it to steel pipes as a topcoat.
Although the Oil & Gas Co. are the ones manufacturing the pipes in their workshop, they are requesting from my customer to provide them with a Mill test report (MTR) approved by a third party, and my customer has passed this request to me.
So, my questions are:
1) What exactly the Mill Test Certificate is ?
2) Which party should issue such document ?
3) Is the MTR have any relation to the PU topcoat ? or this is only concerning the steel properties ?
4) Any recommendation on which lab or certification agency to get their approval on the MTR ?


RE: What is a Mill Test Certificate?

1. A Mill Test Report or MTR is documentation from a testing facility that usually shows the chemical makeup and physical strength/properties of materials required to meet certain ASME and ASTM grades. For example, the company I am with deals primarily with stainless and carbon steel for vessel manufacture and we have to have MTRs for every piece of steel that we receive. The MTR shows the percentage of alloy used in manufacture, the tensile strength, the yield strength, reduction of area, elongation, and hardness of a sample piece to represent the whole batch of a run of material. The MTR proves that the material we receive meets the grade we require.

2. This is issued by the company that does the testing. It can be from the mill itself if they have the equipment or by an outside company who tests for the mill.

3. I can see where they might want a certificate showing what was used to make the PU coating or even a MSDS sheet from you the supplier but a MTR is just that, a MILL test report so sounds to me like they want it for the pipe.

4. They would have to contact the vendor of the pipe or the mill to get the MTR if that is what they want. Did your customer supply the pipe or did O&G Co. buy it themselves? Whoever bought it should be responsible for obtaining the MTR and they will need a heat number from the pipe itself to know which report they need.

Hope this helps and good luck.

RE: What is a Mill Test Certificate?

Typically a MTR is required to show what type and grade of material (pipe) is used. These requirements will come from the job specs and referenced code. Additionally, some specs also call for a CMTR. This is a MTR that has the signature of the manufacture rep. This MTR should be available from the company that the pipe was purchased from. What we do is note on the PO that a MTR is required and what type and grade of material is required.
The MTR only covers the pipe, not the coating. The approval of a third party is just a review of the MTR by a neutral party. We typically provide MTR's when we deliver the product, unless prior authorization is required. I would just ask the other sub, that is making the pipes, for a copy of the MTR's for the pipe. Then give it to your primary. This is typical.

RE: What is a Mill Test Certificate?

ISO 10474 and EN 10204 are a couple of standards that can be consulted to answer parts 1 & 2 of your question.  As for part 3, the answer would be: yes, it can apply to PU topcoats but one would have to question the value of doing so.  I would hazard a guess that, in true oil & gas fashion, the contractor letting the work to you has either not bothered, or has the competence, to filter the requirements for realism!

Should you find yourself having to go through with item 4, then try here for some guidance:


Steve Jones
Materials & Corrosion Engineer

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close