Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here


Centrifugal pump or turbine pump

Centrifugal pump or turbine pump

Centrifugal pump or turbine pump

Dear ALL ,

Can you help me in showing the difference between centrifugal pump and turbine pump , I contacted one of the submersible pump supplier , and I asked for a quotation for a submersible turbine pump , his answer was : we have only centrifugal pump !!!!

your inputs are highly appreciated .


RE: Centrifugal pump or turbine pump

A turbine pump IS a centrifugal pump.

I think your vendor is the problem. What you asked for is a common centrifugal pump. Try another vendor. I frequently use Goulds in the states, but I don't know where you are.

RE: Centrifugal pump or turbine pump

Yes a turbine pump is a centrifugal pump in terms of pump technology, however, so called "turbine pumps" are the generic name usually associated with small diameter mulitstage pumps usually installed in water wells or similar. The vendor isn't necessarily the problem - he has understood rightly or wrongly that you want a sumbersible well pump.
Be more specific with what you enquiry, what is the duty, where is the pump to be installed etc.    

RE: Centrifugal pump or turbine pump

Often known also as regenerative turbine pumps, these units operate differently to the commonly known centrifugal pump.  The design means that the fluid regenerates round the Impeller many times to generate the pressure, with the fluid acting in a diffferent axis which by the design, menas that there are no axial forces applied tot he shaft, Impeller or bearings.

Low flow high pressure applications, great bits of kit, not widely used in UK, but certainly through Europe these are a big thing.  

Ash Fenn


RE: Centrifugal pump or turbine pump

To me, a 'turbine pump' usually refers to either a submersible well type pump, or a non-submersible well type pump.  Often, it's known as a vertical turbine.  Size doesn't come into it - we work with 4" well pumps, and 20" well pumps with 1500 hp motors.

If the above categories don't make sense, then it might be a reference to a horizontal pump like those made by Aurora.

Your submersible pump supplier may not be in the submersible turbine business, they might be in the sump style pump business, like a Flygt or a Grindex.  That might be where the confusion comes in.

RE: Centrifugal pump or turbine pump

We seem to be confused in our terminology.  What Artisi is describing is much different that what pumpking is describing.  When I say vertical turbine pump, I am referring to a multistage vertical bowl pump usually with mixed flow impellers.  It is a standard centrifugal pump with diffusers.  Some people might call it a "can" pump since they are sometimes installed in "cans" or vertical casings set in the ground to allow for higher suction head to the first stage impeller.  It is commonly used in vertical well applications.  It can be driven by a line shaft with the motor on the surface. It can be driven by a submersible motor.  The other technology that pumpking is describing is unknown to me. Which one is the original post asking about?

Johnny Pellin

RE: Centrifugal pump or turbine pump

Since the OP used the phrase 'submersible turbine', the odds are that it's a multistage bowl assembly type pump.

I think the confusion comes in by the response from the original supplier, which was confusing, but likely accurate.  I would take that response to mean that they only make what I would consider a sump pump, not a submersible turbine.

RE: Centrifugal pump or turbine pump

I have for years (incorrectly) referred to stacks of centrifugal pumps as a "vertical turbine" when line shaft driven with the motor above. That's what we call them in Central PA. I also use true turbine pumps when I need really high (1000 ft.+) at 3 to 50 GPM. It's the same as calling a copy machine a Xerox machine. My sales men would have understood perfectly.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close