Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Iris ?? valves

Iris ?? valves

Iris ?? valves

Please can somebody tell me what the correct name is, and who manufactures/distributes valves that form a variable hexagonal orifice plate from sliding sheet steel plates? The valve works like a shutter on a camera, and I believe them to be called iris valves (not the iris diaphragm type). Any suggestion greatly appreciated, as I am starting to think they don’t exist and I dreamt the whole thing


RE: Iris ?? valves

I believe what you are thinking of is also called a variable diameter orifice valve? I vaguely remember a manufacturer named Vortex or something similar to Vortex.

RE: Iris ?? valves

the company you are thinking of is Salina Vortex in Kansas
Phone number is 785-825-7177 or fax 785-825-7194

RE: Iris ?? valves

Do they have a web page or an e-mail address ?

RE: Iris ?? valves

Iris valves are not a metal interior valve. They use a nylon or other fabric sleeve. As you pull the lever on the outside of the valve, the sleeve twists and the opening closes. They are commonly used for controlling the flow of plastic pellets and other solids.

RE: Iris ?? valves

www.mucon.com is the website for the company that make the Iris valve.

RE: Iris ?? valves

Thanks for the information

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close