Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

engineer 6512

engineer 6512

engineer 6512

Engineer6512 (Mechanical) 13 Nov 06 11:08  
I have a very large industrial building with a few concentrated sources of chemical air contamination. I am using local exhaust hoods to exhaust these areas at the source.

My question is what to use for the remainder of the building. When I take the air volume being exhausted from the point sources and apply an ACH calc to the total building volume it works out to be only about 1.5 ACH. Should I add additional ventilation to bump the total building ventilaion up to 3 ACH? I am in a Northern climate so energy usage is very high for high ventilation rates due to makeup heat.

 Thank Engineer6512
for this valuable post!

Engineer 6512
OSHA 29CFR-1910-1450 Lab Standard provides information on permissible explosure limits (PEL), TLV's, requirments for worker monitoring, use of chemical fume hoods, and other critical information for lab Owners. This is designed to aide your design and enforcement of your OSHA mandated chemical hygiene plan. They also promulgate specific minimum fresh air (100% OA) ventilation rates for laboratories (which you have if you have chemicals being used with specific PEL's). They reference a 4-12 ACH and obviously no engineers get paid enough for designing to any minimum.

It sounds like you have a large building and going from 1.5ACH to 3ACH would present an operating cost burden. You may want to consider walling in the area that liberates the chemicals with which your worried--as a way to reduce to ventilation demands. Do your homework and don't enter into any discussion on ACH lightly. Remember, you're required by OSHA to monitor all employees exposure to any chemicals that warrant monitoring. This is black letter OSHA law

Consult a licensed industrial hygienist to ascertain your legal requirements for worker monitoring and examine ways to improve source capture and minimize exhaust/make-up

RE: engineer 6512

Hi Daly1,

Welcome to Eng-Tips. A better way of responding to locked threads is to mention the thread number (see the number below the subject line or heading).

For ex. thread1043-209357: engineer 6512 (this thread) forms a clickable link upon posting and members can refer it back. It is better to mention the thread number even in your subject line, though it is not clickable.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close