Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Converter question

Converter question

Converter question

I need to convert a separated video output {video/left/right sound} into the typical channel 3 RF signal so it can be switched onto a cable network.


Keith Cress
Flamin Systems, Inc.- http://www.flaminsystems.com

RE: Converter question

The device you seek is often called a 'TV Modulator' (mention "video/audio in - ch 3/4 output"). They're available in the electronic shops for anywhere between Cdn$8 (surplus stores like Princess Auto) to Cdn$50 (a bit overpriced).

The inputs are usually video (yellow jack) and two audio (white and red jacks), as well as AC power. The output is an F-connector with Channel 3 or 4 (selectable). Some have an S-video input connector, but that's a bit 'smoke and mirrors' since the video has to be immediately converted to composite anyway. Some have another F-connector input for your cable and might have automatic switching (in and out of the circuit).

The harder part is mixing it onto an existing Cable line with the other signals at the same time. The reason it's difficult is that these sorts of modulators don't really have broadcast quality Vestigial Sideband suppression. So the Channel 3 output will probably spill over onto an adjacent channel (I think Channel 4). They'll actually spill over onto several adjacent channels in the worst case.

There are high-end devices that do exactly what you want, but they're in the $100+ range. Also, they are often in the UHF TV band instead of channel 3/4. Google UHF modulators and check the local high-end video stores.

RE: Converter question

Thanks for the good synopsis VE1BLL you gave me enough to be off-and-running.   The network of which I speak is switched so only one source at a time is on it so I don't think the channel  leakage should matter.


Keith Cress
Flamin Systems, Inc.- http://www.flaminsystems.com

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close