Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here


Potting: Converting Durometer to Elastic Modulus

Potting: Converting Durometer to Elastic Modulus

Potting: Converting Durometer to Elastic Modulus

I'm working to select an elastomer to pot some electronics for use in high vibration. It could be helpful to know the elastic modulous of resins, but manufacturers typically report hardness.

I know that there's no direct anylitical conversion between durometer and modulus of elasticity, but does anyone know of a graph, guideline, or equation that makes some reasonable assumptions to make approximations without doing something more rigorous involving viscoelasticity?

This is an interesting starting point:
but I'm also interested in higher values than they report.

RE: Potting: Converting Durometer to Elastic Modulus

Thanks for the link you mentioned! - as you said, this kind of data is not readily available.

The hardness vs Young's modulus graph appears to give initial (tangent) modulus.  E.g. hardness of 80 equals a modulus of 8.6 MPa.  This is in agreement with a graph in the Shock & Vibration Handbook by Harris and Crede.  As you probably know, this moduli are only good for small deformations.  Modulus at 100% strain will of course be much lower.

But, you mentioned you are interested in higher values...  Did you notice that the IRHD scale only goes up to 100 and beyond 95 it really gets asymptotic?

Be aware that you also get moduli listed at different frequencies (Hz) and of course temperatures.

For your application you may also have to look at damping properties; apparently some PU's and butyl rubbers have superior damping characteristics.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close