Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Small relief valve vendors?

Small relief valve vendors?

Small relief valve vendors?

I'm trying to find a relief valve around the .187 diameter sizing.  I currently use a Lee Co. valve, but it doesn't function very well at the moment.  I'm looking for at least 200 psi cracking pressure.


RE: Small relief valve vendors?

Whats wrong with the LeeCo valve?

RE: Small relief valve vendors?

In our application, it does not seal after it is cracked and 100 psi is the maximum they can make in the .187 size.

RE: Small relief valve vendors?

As far as I recall they have a wide gap between the cracking pressure the re-sealing pressure (~20%). This means that they may crack at 100 psi but will re-seal only when the pressure reduces to 70-80 psi. I am not familiar with other company that makes miniature products such as Lee Co. Is it for liquid or gas?

I had the chance to develop a gas pressure relief valve for 1100 psi with less than 5% gap between the cracking and re-sealing pressures but it had larger diameter.


RE: Small relief valve vendors?

We are using it in oil, and it doesn't reseal at any pressure or amount of time.  We pull a vacum against the seal in the oil filling process and the valve leaks in this situation.

RE: Small relief valve vendors?

Look at a Crosby 900 series. If memory serves it is available with an elastomeric seat insert.  Farris would be a comparable vendor, but I do not know their model for the competitive valve.  

RE: Small relief valve vendors?

Swagelok and Parker both sell valves in the rage that you're looking for.

RE: Small relief valve vendors?

Could you point me at a model from Swagelok or Parker?  They all seem to be much larger than the Lee Co. valve.  I don't think I made it very clear in the first post, but this is a .187" diameter by .500" long, so its very small compared to standard relief valves.

RE: Small relief valve vendors?

Can you post the Lee catalog number?
Can you provide more information on the circuit arrangement it was not clear form your previous post. Especially the following statement: "We pull a vacuum against the seal in the oil filling process and the valve leaks in this situation"
What kind of oil?

RE: Small relief valve vendors?

Yeah, .5 is pretty small.  The .187 requirement is OK, however.  You might try to give them a call and see what they recommend.

RE: Small relief valve vendors?

Sure, here is the link to them http://www.theleeco.com/VALVWEB2.NSF/1c4342c9ada019ae852567de00763051/60fe81e782f888a385256842007b9b32?OpenDocument

I'll try to clear up how its used in this application.  We have a volume that has only one input to be filled and a fairly complex shape and this Lee Co. valve inserted to allow the volume to vent if the pressure exceeds XXXpsi once the system is filled and closed.  But since there is only one input, you can't just pour in the oil, you have to pull a vacuum on the volume with a container of oil inline and let the oil backfill into the void.  It works very well until this valve doesn't seal after it has vented once.

RE: Small relief valve vendors?

Eltron:  We've worked with them in the past to work with this, and they can do it in a .281 size but can't exceed 100psi in the .187 size.  Which is why I'm trying to find a different vendor who might have something that works already.

RE: Small relief valve vendors?

If you could scale up just a skosh you could use a lubrication type relief valve.  The SAE fitting is to show the construction and the Alemite reference catalogue has a valve that will meet you pressure needs.  
All fitting manufactures have this type relief valve or some even have vent valves that have high cracking pressures.



Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Low-Volume Rapid Injection Molding With 3D Printed Molds
Learn methods and guidelines for using stereolithography (SLA) 3D printed molds in the injection molding process to lower costs and lead time. Discover how this hybrid manufacturing process enables on-demand mold fabrication to quickly produce small batches of thermoplastic parts. Download Now
Design for Additive Manufacturing (DfAM)
Examine how the principles of DfAM upend many of the long-standing rules around manufacturability - allowing engineers and designers to place a part’s function at the center of their design considerations. Download Now
Taking Control of Engineering Documents
This ebook covers tips for creating and managing workflows, security best practices and protection of intellectual property, Cloud vs. on-premise software solutions, CAD file management, compliance, and more. Download Now

Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close