Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Sealing a leaking acid valve

Sealing a leaking acid valve

Sealing a leaking acid valve

We have a leaking (from the bonnet gasket) diaphragm valve in a conc sulfuric acid duty.  Slow drip, low pressure.

Replacement of the valve requires a plant shutdown.

Is anyone aware of a product we could use to seal/encapsulate the valve on line, to see us through until the next planned shutdown?

RE: Sealing a leaking acid valve

Have you tried talking to Furmanite?

RE: Sealing a leaking acid valve

I know we had an acid gas leak on our reaction furnace inlet valve and we used this Bee's Wax Tape and Wax primer to seal up the leak until we could fix the problem at our next plant shutdown. I am not sure if it would work for liquids, but I dont see why not??

Try that! I forget where we got this tape from, but that is an option!

RE: Sealing a leaking acid valve

I work as the Design Engineer for SEAL-EX we are out of Edmonton.  We seal leaks on-line to avoid unwanted shutdowns.  We come across problems like yours all the time.  

There are a few options I can let you know of, one option is for us to build a split clamp which bolts around the O.D. of the bonnet.  All of our clamps are designed to ASME codes and are registered with the Boiler Assoc.  We would then pump our sealants into the gap of the flanges which creates a seal between your raise face and existing gasket to the clamp.  This creates a new sealing gasket like a raised face gasket.

Another option would be to do what we call a wire and peen, we take a wire and a peening gun (pnuematic hammer) and peen the wire between the flanges.  This takes the place of the clamp in the last option.  We would then drill njection  holes through the side of the flange into the stud clearance.  We then pump sealant through these hole which create a seal like in the last option.

We have over 40 different kinds of sealants for use in all kinds of processes including acids.

If you would like more information let me know.


Colin Morley

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close