Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

SE2 Exam

SE2 Exam

SE2 Exam

If this seems dumb to you, please pardon my question, but here it is:

I have passed my SE2 exam,
1. Am I supposed to receive some sort of diploma or a new registration number?
2. Is my title PE, SE?  Or is there another exam that I have to take to be called an SE?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

RE: SE2 Exam

To use the title SE your state should have at least a title act and the requirements for meeting that title act.  If, in fact, the only requirement is passing the SE2 and you have then you may call yourself an SE.  I suspect there are other requirements and you may have met them already such as experience etc.

Food for thought - If you are a registered professional engineer and your state has no such designations can you call yourself a SE if your primary practice is SE?  Or are you limited to using the PE designation?  Seems to me you are limited yet still to the PE only.


Eng-Tips Forums:Real Solutions for Real Problems Really Quick.

RE: SE2 Exam

Thank you for your response.

The reason I am asking is we are looking to sign and seal drawings in Washington DC area, and from what we know, it requires SE license.  and from what I found out was that SE2 exam was required.  Therefore, I am curious, is that the only "exam requirements"?  Certainly, there are some other paper works, ethic requirements.

RE: SE2 Exam

Calling your local city board, SeaOT chapter, or ASCE chapter and find out seems like the best way.

RE: SE2 Exam

I'd call the DC engineering board, or committee, or whatever they have there and ask.  If they require an "SE" then you need to find out how they define the license of SE and ensure that you have met these requirements, filled out the necessary paperwork in DC, and payed the fee for licensure to get on their rolls.

Just passing an SE test doesn't give you license to practice as an SE in any jurisdiction.

RE: SE2 Exam

I am not aware that DC requires a SE license....


Eng-Tips Forums:Real Solutions for Real Problems Really Quick.

RE: SE2 Exam

DC is not a state.  It is federal land.  Is this a government job or private sector that you are signing?

RE: SE2 Exam

It's a private sector job.
I am looking into DC's board of prof engr to obtain more info.

Thank you all for your advices.  

RE: SE2 Exam

1. congrats on passing the SE exam.

2. Tell us your story!

RE: SE2 Exam



I will be taking the exam in October.  Any tips?


Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close