Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Puddle Weld Symbol

Puddle Weld Symbol

Puddle Weld Symbol

Is there a welding symbol for Puddle Welds?  I dont see anything in AWS.

RE: Puddle Weld Symbol

Try looking under plug or slot welds.  The AISC Manual has charts as well, page 4-155 in the ASD 9th, 8-31 in the LRFD 3rd.  Basically you replace the fillet weld triangle with a small rectangle.

RE: Puddle Weld Symbol

I believe puddle welds are different from plug or slot welds.  Plug or slot weld is connecting two plates with one plate having either a round hole or a slotted hole.  Puddle weld is in a case where say you are attaching a metal deck to a steel beam.

Old AWS used to have a symbol for spot or projection weld (which may or may not be in the new AWS).  Symbol is a small circle drawn on the arrow side (if it matters) or a small circle centered about the reference line if the side doesn't matter.  You indicate the diameter of the weld and the center to center spacing.

Typically, I do not see this weld symbol anymore.  Puddle welds are specified more often in a note or within a schedule.

RE: Puddle Weld Symbol

"Puddle weld.  A nonstandard term for an arc spot weld or plug weld."- from "Standard Welding Terms and Definitions".

"Plug or slot weld" symbol is a rectangle on the weld arrow.

"Spot or projection" is a circle, either tangent to the weld arrow or centered on the weld arrow when there is no "side" significance.

From "Standard Symbols for Welding, Brazing and Nondestructive Examination".

RE: Puddle Weld Symbol

It is interesting that a nonstandard term is so widely used in the industry.

I can't recall any other "structural application" of a puddle weld other than in metal deck attachment in conjunction with SSW, TSW or BP.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Engineering as It Should Be - Chapter 2: Document Security
This ebook covers basic tips for creating and managing workflows, security best practices and protection of intellectual property, Cloud vs. on-premise software solutions, CAD file management, compliance, and more. Chapter 2 covers cybersecurity and answers the question: How do you secure your files and documents? Download Now

Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close