Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

Drying shrinkage

Drying shrinkage

Drying shrinkage

I need to measure the shrinkage of a ceramic body as it dries. The tricky part is doing this while the body is being subjected to microwave energy.  I have done this in the past by removing the part and measuring with calipers...but I'd really like to measure in-situ.  Any thoughts?

One other thing...I'm also trying to ensure uniform drying so I can eliminate differential shrinkage confounding my measurements.

RE: Drying shrinkage

Maybe you could grasp the body with plastic dial calipers and attach a non-metallic extension spring to keep the calipers in contact with the body as it shrinks.  Or are the shrinkage units in microns or at some other level not measurable with dial calipers?

RE: Drying shrinkage

Contact measurements have a tendency to deform the batch, so I'm attempting to find a laser micrometer or other non contact measurement device.  I'm also trying to measure weight loss simultaneously to build a shrinkage vs. weight loss curve.  This is harder than I ever expected it to be.

RE: Drying shrinkage

A laser interferometer or a laser triangualtion system can do what you want but they will be pricey and you have to know what your doing to make them work right. I would use a dial indicator and a glass rod for a probe extension. It will be far cheaper and simpler. Keep the rod tip diameter small so it doesn't influence your measurement too much.

RE: Drying shrinkage

I really need a non-contact measurement...the batch deforms too easily.

Isn't there anything out there that serves as a non-contact micrometer that isn't real pricey?  Seems like there would be....?

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close