Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

'Flexible' Hardcoat?

'Flexible' Hardcoat?

'Flexible' Hardcoat?

A customer of ours had an aluminum plate hardcoated by a (now unknown) vendor a few years back, and said that it has held up better than anything else they've ever seen.  This plate is used in the transfer of a product onto a stainless steel shelf.  It tends to get beat around and scratched quite a bit.  They say that the coating flexes with the part and doesn't crack.  I don't know how to quantify the flex of the piece, but it is not a great amount.  I'm looking to make a similar piece for them and I'd like to use this same coating.  Does anyone have any idea what it is?
All suggestions appreciated!

RE: 'Flexible' Hardcoat?

Look at a hard-anodize, this is a corrosion of the aluminum substrate so it should flex like the aluminum.

Otherwise ee have had good experience flexing with Nyflon (teflon nickle plating) but I think this only works for steel...

RE: 'Flexible' Hardcoat?

As alexit said, hardcoat anodizing is the appropriate process for improving the hardness and wear resistance of aluminum surfaces.  This is a thicker (35-50 micrometers) version of the cosmetic anodic coatings used on many aluminum applications.  Visit the Metalast website for more information:


RE: 'Flexible' Hardcoat?

I had a gentleman in the business have a look at the parts with the coating in question.  As you two have said, it was indeed a teflon Hardcoat.  I had suggested this to the customer originally, but I was assured that it was something other than hardcoat.  My knowledge of coatings is limited so I thought that I may well be wrong in assuming it to be teflon hardcoat.
Thanks for the quick responses!

RE: 'Flexible' Hardcoat?

For future reference, there are a number of rigid polyurethanes / polyureas that provide good wear resistance.  I have used Huntsman's RP 6444 for a number of applications.  They claim that it is used as a coating on ore carriers or something similar.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


eBook - Simulation-Driven Design with SOLIDWORKS
Simulation-driven design can reduce the time and cost of product development. In this engineering.com eBook, we’ll explore how SOLIDWORKS users can access simulation-driven design through the SOLIDWORKS Simulation suite of analysis tools. Download Now
eBook - Integrating the Engineering Ecosystem
Aras Innovator provides multiple options for integrating data between systems, depending on the scenario. Utilizing the right approach to meet specific business requirements is vital. These needs range from authoring tools, federating data from various and dissimilar databases, and triggering processes and workflows. Download Now
Research Report - Simulation-Driven Design for SOLIDWORKS Users
In this engineering.com research report, we discuss the rising role of simulation and the paradigm shift commonly called the democratization of simulation. In particular, we focus on how SOLIDWORKS users can take advantage of simulation-driven design through two analysis tools: SOLIDWORKS Simulation and 3DEXPERIENCE WORKS. Download Now

Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close