Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

microsoft word

microsoft word

microsoft word


I'm trying to type up an engineering paper on Microsoft Word. Are there any way to type subscripts? When I want to denote a variable, I will want a small subscript by the variable.

Also, are there any programs I can use to type up mathematical symbols such as the integral?

And I'm also assuming there is a Greek letter font?


RE: microsoft word

You can format a font to make it a subscript or a superscript.
Use Insert Symbol to get Greek letters

RE: microsoft word


Both are explained in detail in Word's built-in help.

RE: microsoft word

Also look up 'equation editor' in the help file, it is very handy for mathematical symbols.

RE: microsoft word

you can use the Symbol font for greek letters.  

RE: microsoft word

Search Word help for Equation Editor

RE: microsoft word

Also, search the web for a program called MathType.  You can use it to get "real" math symbols and then insert them into a Word document or any other program which use object linking and embedding (ole)

good luck

RE: microsoft word

To access equation editor go to insert pick object and then scroll down and pick Microsoft equation editor. A window will open and allow you to put in many different mathematic symbols.

RE: microsoft word

I do that work all the time. Here is one way to get some of what you want.

1- insert the symbol if you need that.
2 - In Tools, Customize, find the superscript and subscript buttons and place them on your tool bar.
3 - Type in your entry, format the entry with superscript or subscript, or insert the symbol.
4 - Use Autocorrect to memorize your format.

Type H20, then format 2 as subscript, then highlight all three (H20), then select Autocorrect in Tools menu.
In Autocorrect Enter H20 as usual, then select the "Formatted Text" option, click Ok.

Now, whenever you type in H20, Autocorrect automatically subscripts the 2 for you.

This works for some of what you want, but more complex stuff is still difficult or cannot be done in Word.  On difficult things I just make out the formula in a graphics program like Corel and paste it into Word.


RE: microsoft word

Thanks, I got it.

RE: microsoft word

The simplest method is to press 'ctrl' and '+' sametime for subscripts and 'ctrl' & 'alt' and '+' for superscripts. Just press the keys to get rid off them.

RE: microsoft word

huh.. it is 'ctrl' & 'shift' & '+' for superscripts.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close