Contact US

Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here

House Foundation

House Foundation

House Foundation

My friend had a house inspected and the foundation walls are cinder block.  The inspection report says the walls have come in by up to .5 inch. There are some vertical cracks and horizontal cracks. A contractor told her the horizontal cracks are more concerning than the verttical. The house is in Wisonsin. Is this foundation something to be worried about, or is less than .5 inch movement to the inside of the house ok? Also, why would horizontal be more concerning?

RE: House Foundation

Not sure about your area, but in Ontario Canada most concrete block walls for residential construction are not reinforced.  The horizontal cracks may be considered of significance as this implies tension horizontally on the wall (meaning the wall is bending along a horizontal axis) possibly due to excess backfill, lack of properly draining backfill e.t.c....

1/2" displacent is something I would consider as significant.  It is not clear if the displacement has stabilized. I.e. will the wall continue to move?

I'd retain a strucutral engineer to look at it...


RE: House Foundation

If the house is relatively new (say less than 40 years), this much displacement is a concern...unless there is evidence that the displacement hasn't proceeded in several years.

Has the wall remained straight but it tilted inward?  If so, the house strucure may have started to buttress against further displacement.  If the wall has bulged, the bulging will likely continue unless the force acting to bulge the wall has been reduced.

She should have it looked at by a structural engineer.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members! Already a Member? Login


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close