Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here


Standard designation for Light Gage Metal Studs/Joists

Standard designation for Light Gage Metal Studs/Joists

Standard designation for Light Gage Metal Studs/Joists

Is there a designation that is commonly used to call out light gage metal studs/joists? I realize that there a no standard sizes (every manufacturer has his own). I currently call out Detrich designations. Is there a more generic way to call out the sizes?

RE: Standard designation for Light Gage Metal Studs/Joists

Each company has their own system and AISI has not, to my knowledge, standardized them yet (but I could definitely be mistaken).

What we do is specify, on the plans, usually in a schedule of some sort, the following parameters:

1.  Joist depth
2.  Joist gage
3.  Minimum joist width (flange width)
4.  Minimum joist moment of inertia - strong axis
5.  Any required web stiffeners
6.  Minimum length of bearing.
7.  The finish (galvanized or painted)- this is usually in a general note.

RE: Standard designation for Light Gage Metal Studs/Joists

There is the Steel Stud Manufacturer's designation, called the SSMA, that has standardized somewhat the labels used for light gage.  A common joist designation would be 1200S200-68.  The 1200 would designate 12" deep, the S is a stud shape with returns at the end of the flange (T would be used for a track), the 200 designates a 2" flange, and the 68 designates the thickness (14 ga in this case).  

You also have the proprietary joists, like Dietrich's trade ready, which have openings in the webs.  With those types of joists, you would be stuck with their designations.

I don't know how prevalent the SSMA designations are for the east coast locations, but they have a website if you do a search.

RE: Standard designation for Light Gage Metal Studs/Joists

I have been using the SSMA designations on projects in the midwest, works great. You should get the SSMA publication "Product Technical Information".

RE: Standard designation for Light Gage Metal Studs/Joists

DEL2000 is right on.  And as far as I was aware, I thought his 600S162-54 (for example) IS the adopted industry standard.

Recently, I reviewed another engineers wall stud design, and he called for 6SW18 studs.  Some manufacturers indicated a 2" flange for that stud.  I get to the site, and they are installing 1 5/8" flange studs all over the place.  Needless to say, I immediately brought this to the attention of the project manager, and after many phone calls and antacids later, the engineer of record certified that he designed 1 5/8" flange studs, and not 2".  He was using a different catalog.

SO, if we all adopt the standard as mentioned above, this confusion can be eliminated.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close