Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.


How do you call out a square counterbore?

How do you call out a square counterbore?

I have a cast part with a square counterbore on the the backside of a hole so the nut will seat against the face. I am working on getting my GD&T skills up to speed though wondering the best way to define this feature? Can you still use a diameter position tolerance just as you would with a circle counterbore or would it be better to use a profile tolerance?

RE: How do you call out a square counterbore?


Counterbores are round. If your feature is not round, it is not a counterbore. I recommend drawing it out.


RE: How do you call out a square counterbore?


Attached is a screenshot. From your statement I am guessing we add a profile tolerance and relate it back to the primary datums along with a parallel tolerance to the opposing face or a perpendicular tolerance to the hole?

RE: How do you call out a square counterbore?

You treat a feature like this in exactly the same way you would treat any other pocket- this one just happens to have a hole through the floor of the pocket.

What's critical for you is which feature drives position- from your description it sounds like the position of the hole is most critical relative the part, and the position of the pocket is critical only in relation to the hole, not to the rest of the part.

That sets up your chain of references. Hole relative to part datums, pocket dims relative to hole.

RE: How do you call out a square counterbore?


You apply whatever tolerances make your pocket work.


RE: How do you call out a square counterbore?

Unless that pocket is produced just by casting , your machinist is going to hate you , This is going to require a long skinny end mill which will whip around. A bigger bottom radius may help.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close