Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.


Quantitative leak testing with tracer gas probes

Quantitative leak testing with tracer gas probes

Dear all,

I am hoping someone can point me towards the right direction when it comes to selecting a tracer gas and probes to determine the leakage rate along the seal of a large opening.

The opening is roughly 16 ft by 16 ft and due to the awkward shape it is next to impossible impossible to place a vacuum box. Unfortunately due to the space around it and its shear size I cannot perform a pressure change test either.

The only feasible solution I can think of is to create a pocket of gas with plastic sheeting along the seal and use set tracer gas and probe.

I would gladly hear anyone's take on this.


RE: Quantitative leak testing with tracer gas probes

What sensitivity are you looking for?
I have seen work done on very large structures using SF6 as a tracer (common in power plants).
The traditional gas is He, but that may be way more sensitive than you need.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

RE: Quantitative leak testing with tracer gas probes

The anticipated leakage from the door is somewhere around 2.25*10^-7 Pa*m^3*s^-1. From the research I just did I assume that He is the better option.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close