Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.


The Civil Designer and the Civil Design Engineer

The Civil Designer and the Civil Design Engineer

Can someone clarify the role of a Civil Designer and that of a Civil Design Engineer for me?

RE: The Civil Designer and the Civil Design Engineer

Job titles are very dependent on where your work.

Some firms would call someone with an EIT "Engineer" while others would call them "Designer" (reserving the title of "Engineer" for licensed PE's).

Some companies reserve "Designer" for the CAD drafters. In some industries, the drafters will perform many aspects of the design by pulling values (i.e. highway curve radii, storm sewer sizes, structural member sizes) out of design tables. The engineer will then do parts of the design that require more involved calculations.

These have been my experiences with the roles.

RE: The Civil Designer and the Civil Design Engineer

In this neck of the woods, no one uses "engineer" unless they actually earned an engineering degree. Sometimes I see the term "EI", or "EIT" used for junior engineers. The term "PE" is then only appended after it is earned. Anything without the term "engineer" in it denotes a designer of some degree.


RE: The Civil Designer and the Civil Design Engineer

Where in the world are you? This may matter more than you may imagine

RE: The Civil Designer and the Civil Design Engineer

As Hoxton said, your location matters in how the term engineer can be used legally. Our employees who have engineering degrees but have not passed the FE are Graudate Engineers, those that have passed the FE are Engineers In Training, and those licensed by the state are Professional Engineers.

Our drafting staff are all title Technician of some type.

RE: The Civil Designer and the Civil Design Engineer

Anyone that can hold a screwdriver is an engineer in UK.
In Idaho, only those that drive the BN locomotive.

Reaction to change doesn't stop it smile

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close