Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.


Sourced heater with CE Certification can it be sold in US?

Sourced heater with CE Certification can it be sold in US?

Hi All,

We have sourced a electrical water heater with CE certification, but would like to sell it in the US where do we stand on the legal/certification side? As it is not our product we have basically just put our name on it.

Thanks in advance,

RE: Sourced heater with CE Certification can it be sold in US?

You really need UL or equivalent (CSA, TUV, whatever). CE is not recognized as a "listed product" here.

Best to you,

Goober Dave

Haven't see the forum policies? Do so now: Forum Policies

RE: Sourced heater with CE Certification can it be sold in US?

CE is considered "self certification" done by the manufacturer so is not acceptable here. You need listing from what is called an NRTL (Nationally Recognized Testing Lab), a list of which can be found here. UL is the most commonly accepted one, some local jurisdictions, usually large megalopolises like New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, etc., may add other local requirements, especially on household major appliances like water heaters.

If you want to include Canada, their rules are similar, but not the same. You usually need CSA or a "Canadian" acceptable reciprocal version of one of the others, such as cUL (the C is for Canada).

"You measure the size of the accomplishment by the obstacles you had to overcome to reach your goals" -- Booker T. Washington

RE: Sourced heater with CE Certification can it be sold in US?

UL isn't required in the USA like CE is for the EU. That's why the NRTLs suggested by jraef can be applied in the USA and CA. What do your customers want? Will the UL Mark mean more sales?


RE: Sourced heater with CE Certification can it be sold in US?

An NRTL "listed" mark (be it UL or Intertek or MET) will ensure you don't lose sales because of not having it.
I would think a listed water heater would be required by local codes in many if not all states.

The ONLY reason to specifically use UL (the company itself) is when your component could be included in someone elses "listed" assembly.
sadly, UL will NOT accept other NRTL companies test data when qualifying the whole system.. all other NRTL's will.

Typically we find Intertek to be MUCH easier/cheaper/quicker to work with.

We request UL and they throw in cUL/IEC/EN/CE/CB scheme for free.. Its typically just slight national differences.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close