Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.


Link To This Forum!

Partner Button
Add Stickiness To Your Site By Linking To This Professionally Managed Technical Forum.
Just copy and paste the
code below into your site.

Bladder assisted forming for plastic?

Bladder assisted forming for plastic?


Does anybody know of Bulge forming for metals?
Essentialy you have an outer die and you put your tube inside. Inside the tube you put a rubber bladder and pressurize it. The bladder forces the metal tube to get the shape of the outer dies.

Is there something similar for plastic? let's say forming elbows or other pipe shapes?



RE: Bladder assisted forming for plastic?

Actually I am looking to make elbows so just bulge forming won't do. Is there a combination of bulge and Injection?

RE: Bladder assisted forming for plastic?

Check out tube hydroforming.

It is better to have enough ideas for some of them to be wrong, than to be always right by having no ideas at all.

RE: Bladder assisted forming for plastic?

If you're injection molding, any reason why the standard faire won't work?  If I can get a dozen PVC elbows for $10 at the local Borg, well, that should tell you how economical it can be.

Dan - Owner

RE: Bladder assisted forming for plastic?

Regular injection molding limits you to the length of the elbow.
If I would like to design a long radius...? then how would I do it?

RE: Bladder assisted forming for plastic?

ornerynorsk, any companies to recommend?

RE: Bladder assisted forming for plastic?

If it's a constant rad, not too many degrees, you made be able to withdraw a curved core. Think of those tubes they stick down your throat in ER!

Alternatively, use a lost metal process. This used to be used (may still be) to make automotive inlet manifolds.


Why be happy when you can be normal?

RE: Bladder assisted forming for plastic?

I've never actually had a part commissioned in tube hydroforming, so I cannot make a specific recommendation.

A quick query of google yielded 200,000 + hits.  If you're in the US, I'd personally start with ThomasNet.

It is better to have enough ideas for some of them to be wrong, than to be always right by having no ideas at all.

RE: Bladder assisted forming for plastic?

Plastics won't normally hydroform like metals, but I'm not saying it can't be done at all.

The bag or tube is not used. The process is called blow moulding. Billions of bottles are made from the process every year.

As Pud says, curved cores can be used within limits and this is used for pipe fittings with an inside rad on the elbow.

Lost core can also be used. Typically a bismuth tin alloy with a melting point a bit below the softening point for the polymer. This is expensive as you need to cast the cores first and they are use once only. The bismuth tin is very expensive and there are always some losses in reclaiming. There are also toxicological and EPA issues, but it still make a better manifold than a welded together one. I have heard of people experimenting with ice cores. Precision was an issue as was handling and time and mould temperatures and flow lengths with glass filled nylon 6.6 at least.

Rotational moulding can also be used for hollow parts. It is often used for very large parts due to the much lower tooling and machine costs.

See FAQ731-376: Forum Policies for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

RE: Bladder assisted forming for plastic?

Hercules28, could you clarify ~ are you wishing to make plastic or metal parts?

It is better to have enough ideas for some of them to be wrong, than to be always right by having no ideas at all.

RE: Bladder assisted forming for plastic?

Plastic parts

RE: Bladder assisted forming for plastic?

Hello Hercules

Yes a process that may work for you of injection blow molding assuming the wall sections do not have very tight tolerances.

With air injection molding and water inject assisted molding, you fill the mold part way by injecting plastic in the mold, then an air or water valve opens in the mold forcing the plastic to continue to fill the mold and creating a hollow part. This is how they do the air duct work in automobiles, etc.

Not a lot of people doing this, using this process you do not have to deal with retracting out the core. But the ends will need to be cut off. Part with bulges in the middle of the part can be produced that can't be produced with convention injection molding.

Hope this helps

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


White Paper: Agile Product Engineering and Improved Product Outcomes
Today’s product development cycle is fraught with difficulties. Increased demands for complex functionality and reduced product development windows cause engineering teams to borrow practices from the IT industry, swapping outdated serial workflows for a more flexible and collaborative design method known as Agile Product Engineering. Download Now

Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close