Member Login

Remember Me
Forgot Password?
Join Us!

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips now!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

Join Eng-Tips
*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.
Jobs from Indeed

Link To This Forum!

Partner Button
Add Stickiness To Your Site By Linking To This Professionally Managed Technical Forum.
Just copy and paste the
code below into your site.

GalileoG (Structural) (OP)
12 Dec 11 16:51
In Canada, is a welding engineer certified by the Canadian Welding Bureau required to inspect every weld job? Does a building need to be bigger than a certain size before you have to hire a welding engineer to perform an inspection of the field welds? Can a structural engineer perform these inspections in lieu of a CWB certified welding engineer? When are we mandated to have a CWB certified welding engineer perform these inspections? Is all welding required to be performed by a CWB certified welder? Do all fabrication shops require to be CWB certified? Thank you.
kingnero (Mechanical)
13 Dec 11 10:31
In Europe, this is covered by the EN 1090 code.
Depending on several factors (type of steel, stainless, alu, ... - thickness of the plates - fatigue loading or not - type of building (private, public, ...) - consequence cless (could someone die if the weld failed)
you have to follow welding coordination (IWS, IWT or IWE) as specified by the code.

You will probably have an equivalent code, someone will surely know which one...
Tubalcain (Mechanical)
13 Dec 11 11:22
In Canada you should first start with CSA S16 for structural steel. S16 then refers you to CSA W47.1 & CSA W59-03. W59 then sets out CSA W178.1 (Inspection Companies) and CSA W178.2 (Visual Inspectors). The CWB Group are the ones that facilitate certification of Inspection companies and Inspectors.

I think you mean to say CWB Welding Inspector NOT CWB Welding Engineer.

Yes, all welding needs to be performed by a CWB Certfied Welding Company, using CWB Certified Welders using CWB stamped Weld procedures and finally a CWB Inspector (CSA W178.2) preferrably working for a CWB Inspection company.

If you need some help, I can contact you off-line regarding inspection companies available for your needs.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!

Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close