Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here


Pulse detection using 8051 microprocessor

Pulse detection using 8051 microprocessor

Pulse detection using 8051 microprocessor


I am currently using the philips 8051 to detect a magnet passing an AMR sensor. Does anyone have any ideas or recommended reading to get near 100% detection and near 0% false activation from noise.

In the perfect situation the digitized signal is a single sin-wave pulse with polarity depending on the magnet orientation. In reality this get distorted by magnet speed/offset/angle/etc

The 8051 is 22Mhz with 1kB RAM so I can't really do any complex spectral analysis.

Any suggestion would be wonderful.


RE: Pulse detection using 8051 microprocessor

Hi, I'm not sure what you mean by "digitised signal" in this application.If you have allready used analouge to digital conversion then all you need to do is trigger the 8051 from 1 of the higher data bits. If you are using the analouge signal directly then you can use a schmit trigger to remove the noise.

RE: Pulse detection using 8051 microprocessor

There is no magic circuitry involved.  It's strictly a matter of signal to noise ratio (SNR).  You don't stipulate what near 100% means, but a 99% probability of detection with a 1% false alarm rate requires around 7:1 SNR.  

This can only come from a stronger signal, which means a stronger or closer magnet or a lower noise detector, which means possibly a more sensitive detector with integrated low-noise preamp located director at the detector.  


RE: Pulse detection using 8051 microprocessor

You can reduce the noise by
1.) shielding 2.) filtering 3.) amplitude and duration


Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close