Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here


Shop Drawings

Shop Drawings

Shop Drawings

Hi I need to find a book  that explains shop drawings for structural steel. We just got the drawings for our building but I am not familiar with a lot of terms. Is there a book that I can read that will explain some of this stuff.

All the connections are bolted - there will be no welding on the job. all the beams and columns are already cut we are mainly dealing with drilling the holes

RE: Shop Drawings

The AISC Steel Construction Manual would be a good place to start. Also you can look up AISC's website (www.aisc.org).

I am a little surprised/concerned that a mechanical engineer is reviewing structural steel shop drawings.

RE: Shop Drawings

Haha - good point. Fear not - I am not reviewing them, they were already signed and stamped by our PE. I am just involved in ordering the steels and the fabrication.

The fact that I have an ME degree has little to do with my role here :)


RE: Shop Drawings

AISC/NISD has a book Detailing for Steel Construction.  The newest version is Third Edition.  The Steel Construction Manual is more technical design information and less shop drawing vocabulary, standards, and symbols.  If you have some simple questions I can help or provide scans from the book.  But, if this is a new experience, I recommend getting the book.  



RE: Shop Drawings

Thanks for the link connectegr.

Below is a beam from one on the pages.

Starting from the lower left corner:

1-a9 = 1 a9 in this case its an L4x3-1/2x5/16 8-1/2 long  

NS/FS = Near Side and Long Side - what do those refer to ?

2-3/8 GOL - What does GOL stand for and what is 2-3/8 referring to ?

5-1/2 CC (Center to Center) - which centers ?

3-7/8x2-1/2 A325n - Bolt stuff, I know that info.

What is the hexagon with the 15/16x1-1/8 inside referring to ?

and what is the "IN OSL" ?

Next area is the top left where it says (-5-5/8) what are those numbers referring to ?

Then over to the top right it says (P/P 24-3) (-4 7/16) What are those numbers referring to ?

Thanks for your help much appreciated


RE: Shop Drawings

NS/FS  - near side/ far side - an angle is located on each side of the beam web

GOL - gage of angle - the dimension from the heal of the angle to the center of the bolt hole.

Gage - center to center dimension between the columns of bolts.  

OSL - outstanding leg

15/16 x 1 1/8" - Short slot hole - probably horizontal  


RE: Shop Drawings

-5 5/8" - The dimension from the centerline of the column web to the face of the column flange.

P/P - point to point - centerline of column to centerline of column

-4 7/16 - same as above - must be a smaller column  


RE: Shop Drawings

I tried to blow this up

Note:  The actual dimension center of slot to center of slot is not exactly the Gage (5 1/2").  The holes in the column flange will be standard round holes a 5 1/2" c/c.  The slots are necessary for this difference.  Otherwise, a specific GOL would be required for every minor change in beam web thickness.  

Hope this helps.  

Are you having this fabricated by a structural steel fabricator?  Are the holes being located and drilled by a CNC beamline?  Or mag drilled one at a time?


RE: Shop Drawings

Thank you very much  connectegr  excellent info.

RE: Shop Drawings

5 1/2" is a standard bolt gauge for flanges.

The Detailer must have a set of the job standards, there are variations between fab shops.

Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close