Smart questions
Smart answers
Smart people
Join Eng-Tips Forums

Member Login

Remember Me
Forgot Password?
Join Us!

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips now!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

Join Eng-Tips
*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.
Jobs from Indeed

Link To This Forum!

Partner Button
Add Stickiness To Your Site By Linking To This Professionally Managed Technical Forum.
Just copy and paste the
code below into your site.

nonsinusoidal (Electrical) (OP)
5 Mar 10 9:44
We are looking for a transition splice for 3/c PILC to 3-1/c polymeric(XLPE) primary underground cables. The 350 PILC CABLE has conductors of a compact sector shape. We are not sure on how to calculate the PILC insulation diameter for each of the copper conductor since they are not round. However, we do have the 120 compact sector conductor V-Gauge Depth for each of the conductors. The supplier has not been very helpful on how to go about this. Does anyone know how to calculate the insulation diameter for a PILC conductor by knowing the V-Gauge Depth of the conductor and the thickness of the insulation? Any assistance will be highly appreciated and thank you in advance.  
Marmite (Electrical)
5 Mar 10 11:22
What voltage are we talking about?
These days connectors and joint kits are range taking based on conductor CSA rather than shape. If you think about a heatshrink tube, for example, its not going to matter whether the conductor is sectoral or circular providing the tube is big enough to slide over the connector and can shrink down enough to be a tight fit on the core.
busbar (Electrical)
6 Mar 10 19:59

I believe Burndy sells "rounding dies" to allow use of a circular splice with segmented conductors.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!

Back To Forum

Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close