Log In

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips Forums!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!
  • Students Click Here

*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.

Students Click Here


Spherical Rod Ends

Spherical Rod Ends

Spherical Rod Ends

Hey guys!

So here is the deal...I have a set of adjustable upper control arms on the rear of my Nissan Z32 however the PTFE-nylon liner in the spherical rod end has already pounded out resulting in a lot of backlash & require replacement.

They use a Male spherical rod end with a right handed M16x2.0 thread and a 16mm bore.  Now I don't want to encounter the same problem again, therefore I would prefer to have an injection molded liner for the replacements. My issue is that all I can find on the internet are standard inch size rod ends such as the QA1 XM series.

I thought about modifying the adjuster bung threads with a Timesert to fit a 5/8-18 rod end, however it is out of the question since I don't want to pay ~180 just for the kit and it's not optimal.

Are there any performance metric alloy rod ends with injection molded self-lubricating liners out there???

RE: Spherical Rod Ends

Maybe you could switch to a johnny joint, Currie seems to be the best known manufacturer.

These guys are supposed to make excellent rebuildable ends.

Or maybe you could adapt one of these which can be adjusted as it wears and then rebuilt if necessary.

I know, these are all likely too heavy for the application you're looking at...

Red Flag This Post

Please let us know here why this post is inappropriate. Reasons such as off-topic, duplicates, flames, illegal, vulgar, or students posting their homework.

Red Flag Submitted

Thank you for helping keep Eng-Tips Forums free from inappropriate posts.
The Eng-Tips staff will check this out and take appropriate action.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!


Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close