Smart questions
Smart answers
Smart people
Join Eng-Tips Forums

Member Login

Remember Me
Forgot Password?
Join Us!

Come Join Us!

Are you an
Engineering professional?
Join Eng-Tips now!
  • Talk With Other Members
  • Be Notified Of Responses
    To Your Posts
  • Keyword Search
  • One-Click Access To Your
    Favorite Forums
  • Automated Signatures
    On Your Posts
  • Best Of All, It's Free!

Join Eng-Tips
*Eng-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.

Posting Guidelines

Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.
Jobs from Indeed

Link To This Forum!

Partner Button
Add Stickiness To Your Site By Linking To This Professionally Managed Technical Forum.
Just copy and paste the
code below into your site.

pelelo (Geotechnical) (OP)
11 Aug 09 8:00

Any civil engineer with a PG (Professional Geologist) license?. I would like to know how hard would be the requirements for CEs in order to sit for the PG exam.

I was wondering if there are some special requirements for CEs in order to get the PG license?

Please let me know. Thanks
Ron (Structural)
11 Aug 09 10:40
Licensing will depend on your particular state's requirements for PG.  Why would you need it?  In my experience, PE's can do anything a PG can do and more.
pelelo (Geotechnical) (OP)
11 Aug 09 11:37
I will join sometime an engineering firm. Notice most of its members are PE, PG.

I just would like to know how difficult would be the paperwork.

I heard i will need to get a degree in geology and then get the PG license. Seems to be difficult. Maybe there are better options.
Ron (Structural)
11 Aug 09 13:43
Most P.E.'s with Geotechnical specialty can generally meet the requirements in some states without a degree in geology.
pelelo (Geotechnical) (OP)
11 Aug 09 19:13
That's what i need to find out. I have been looking in some states and they all require a BS in geology.
Hoagie (Civil/Environmental)
12 Aug 09 11:35

Are you sure you don't mean engineering geologist alike those described within the UBC (check out chapter 33)?  A PE (in most states) can provide most of the services a geologist does, but not an EG.
pelelo (Geotechnical) (OP)
12 Aug 09 12:07

I am sure it's the PG license. I didn't know the EG license exist.

Thanks anyways.
bimr (Civil/Environmental)
12 Aug 09 13:41
The laws for PG vary with each state similar to the way that the PE laws do. It is generally required to have a geological science degree in order to qualify for the PG. An engineering degree most likely will not qualify you to sit for the PG

In California, there are some people with dual PG and Civil PE licenses. Most of them have both geological science and engineering degrees. I know of a person (not in CA) that started with a PG and then took some courses in order to qualify for the PE.

In some states, one can take the PE exam without an engineering degree. However, California for example will not let you take the PG without the degree in geology.

The legal requirement in California to take the PG exam states:

"graduation with a major in geological sciences from a college or university".

The engineering degree probably would not be acceptable, but some other geological science related degree might work.  Check with the local state board before investing in any course work.

Some states also have special licenses such as engineering geology, although it seems you have your mind set on the PE.

Reply To This Thread

Posting in the Eng-Tips forums is a member-only feature.

Click Here to join Eng-Tips and talk with other members!

Back To Forum

Close Box

Join Eng-Tips® Today!

Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical engineering professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.

Here's Why Members Love Eng-Tips Forums:

Register now while it's still free!

Already a member? Close this window and log in.

Join Us             Close